Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dinner for March 26

Last night it was just three of us as one of the kids spent the night at a friend's house. We did have the baked chicken that I mentioned yesterday as well as a bag of frozen beans. Not the summertime beans, but a store-bought bag of frozen beans that we steamed. There was no need for the artisan bread as we were all pretty stuffed from the chicken and beans.

Table talk turned to the subject of movie ratings and which types of movies the youngest member of the household was allowed to watch. Seeing as how last night was Friday night, we decided to have 'movie night.' Since it's all guys (except me) in the house, 'movie night' usually consists of something like 'The Matrix' or similar types of movies. Sheesh... can't a girl watch "Terms of Endearment" or something? No. Not unless she's by herself.

Anyway, I brought up the subject of movies that have bang-bang-shoot-'em-up storylines as well as when-people-die-they-don't-come-back-to-life type things. I explained to our youngest son, who is 7, that I'd rather he not watch things like that because he would get desensitized to violence. He should be watching "Hannah Montana" and "Camp Rock" and things rated G. There is no reason he should be watching any type of violence at his young age. Our 13-year-old son can watch things like that, but I'd rather supervise. I explained that PG meant 'parental guidance' and that he (the 7-year-old) can watch PG movies if one of us (me or his dad) is present. I don't think my child knows what he's in for since he has probably gotten used to watching movies that I don't allow, but that his dad saw (until I brought it up at dinner) no harm in. Now hubby and I are on the same page.

Tonight's dinner - not sure. I know it'll probably be something barbecued as the weather is in our favor - sunny and in the 60s. There is a box of strawberries in the fridge and I have a hankering for strawberry shortcake.

No comments:

Post a Comment